Changes in Varnish 6.0¶
Usually when we do dot-zero releases in Varnish, it means that users are in for a bit of work to upgrade to the new version, but 6.0 is actually not that scary, because most of the changes are either under the hood or entirely new features.
Because UNIX Domain Sockets have nothing like IP numbers, we were
forced to define a new level of the VCL language
vcl 4.1 to
cope with UDS.
vcl 4.0 and
vcl 4.1 are supported, and it is the primary
source-file which controls which it will be, and you can
lower versions, but not higher versions than that.
Some old variables are not available in 4.1 and some new variables are not available in 4.0. Please see VCL Variables for specifics.
There are a few other changes to the
vcl 4.0, most notably that
we now consider upper- and lower-case the same for symbols.
The HTTP/2 code has received a lot of attention from Dag Haavi Finstad (Varnish Software) and it holds up in production on several large sites now.
There are new and improved VMODs:
VMOD directors - Varnish Directors Module – Much work on the
VMOD proxy - Varnish Module to extract TLV attributes from PROXYv2 – Proxy protocol information
VMOD unix - Utilities for Unix domain sockets – Unix Domain Socket information
umem stevedore has been brought back on Solaris
and it is the default storage method there now.
More error situations now get vcl
this should make life simpler for everybody we hope.
And it goes without saying that we have fixed a lot of bugs too.
Under the hood (mostly for developers)¶
The big thing is that the
$Abi [vrt|strict] should now
have settled. We have removed all the stuff from
which is not available under
$Abi vrt, and this hopefully
means that VMODS will work without recompilation on several
subsequent varnish versions. (There are some stuff related
to packaging which takes advantage of this, but it didn’t
get into this release.)
VMODS can define their own stats counters now, and they work just like builtin counters, because there is no difference.
The counters are described in a
.vsc file which is
processed with a new python script which does a lot of
magic etc. There is a tiny example in
the source tree. If you’re using autotools, a new
VARNISH_COUNTERS macro helps you set everything up,
and is documented in
This took a major retooling of the stats counters in general, and the VSM, VSC and VSL apis have all subtly or not so subtly changed as a result.
VMOD functions can take optional arguments, these are different from defaulted arguments in that a separate flag tells if they were specified or not in the call. For reasons of everybodys sanity, all the arguments gets wrapped in a function-specific structure when this is used.
vmodtool.py script has learned other new tricks, and
as a result also produces nicer
BYTES are now 64bits on all platforms.
VCL ENUM have gotten a new implementation, so the pointers
are now constant and can be compared as such, rather than
We have a new type of
binary VSL records which are hexdumped
by default, but on the API side, rather than in
This saves both VSL bandwidth and processing power, as they are
usually only used for deep debugging and mostly turned off.
VCC compilers has received a lot of work in two areas:
The symbol table has been totally revamped to make it ready for
variant symbols, presently symbols which are different in
vcl 4.0 and
The “prototype” information in the VMOD shared library has been changed to JSON, (look in your vcc_if.c file if you don’t believe me), and this can express more detailed information, presently the optional arguments.
The stuff only we care about¶
process has grown
pty(4) support, so that
we can test curses-based programs like our own utilities.
This has (finally!) pushed our code coverage, across all the source code in the project up to 90%.
We have also decided to make our python scripts PEP8 compliant, and
vmodtool.py is already be there.
The VCL variables are now defined in the
.rst file, rather
than the other way around, this makes the documentation better
at the cost of minor python-script complexity.
We now produce weekly snapshots from
-trunk, this makes it
easier for people to test all the new stuff.
We have not quite gotten the half-yearly release-procedure under control.
I’m writing this the evening before the release, trying to squeeze out of my brain what I should have written here long time ago, and we have had far more commits this last week than is reasonable.
But we have gotten better at it.